Chat Box

Website Chat Reader

Welcome to Transcendence

Author Topic: Best dub?  (Read 6683 times)

Offline Snookies12

• Cocoon
    • View Profile
Re: Best dub?
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2012, 02:03 »
My favorite dubs were, Full Metal Alchemist (as well as Brotherhood of course), Inuyasha, and Trigun!  I don't tend to watch a lot of dubbed anime, mainly for the sole reason of it being a bit behind in most cases.  When I start a series I like to plow right through and watch it all over the course of like, a day or two.   :=X:

Offline Angel~

• Reserve Staff
  • Transcendent
  • Do, or do not. There is no "try".
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2012, 10:07 »
I hate dubs. It sounds strange... I was forced to watch Inuyasha in dubs, which made me drop it... I loved it so much.... :'(

thanks to Shineshan <3

Offline `Roze`

• Administrator
  • Transcendent
  • Is a PM horder. >.>;
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2012, 13:29 »
My favorite Dubs would probably have to be Soul Eater and Inuyasha. I grew up watching dubs so they don't really bother me. ^^;

One that really bothers me is that they picked Vic to be Zero's voice actor in Vampire Knight. I can't believe they did that! He does not match the Zero in my head.  :'( That ruined the dubbed Vk for me. I just watch subs.

Progress
(click to show/hide)

Offline Angel~

• Reserve Staff
  • Transcendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2012, 16:10 »
Igave up on dubs.... They try to mess up my ideal picture... Evil dubbers!

thanks to Shineshan <3

Offline putochan

• Translator [Jp]
  • Royalty
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2012, 18:23 »
I generally don't like watching dubbed anime or drama because I like the sound and quality of Japanese voice. 

But I have to say, the English dub for Rurouni Kenshin (Samurai X) was good.   :bingo:

Offline tinnako

• Beast
  • Hello, happy to meet you :D
    • View Profile
    • Cutest teeth in the universe ^_^
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2013, 17:12 »
I think the FMA dub was pretty good. Though Vic Mignogna is not a bad voice actor, I feel he's been overused as the main male character because he was really popular in FMA. Superb as Ed, but could I ever see him as Fai in Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle? Daisuke in DNAngel? Yoshimori in Kekkaishi? No, not really. I think we need more diversity in English dubbing simply because it's too easy for every series to sound the same.  And some voice actors need a bit more coaching on how to pronounce Japanese names a bit more authentically, It's a bit painful hearing some of them strain over their rolling Rs and generally mashing up names ><.

Personally dubs irritate me a bit when they come across as unabashedly American. Not so much the voices (I guess the fact all their voice actors are from the US can't be helped) but in the phrases or 'references' that sneak into anime and manga sometimes. No offense to y'all , but if a series is set in Japan, (or anywhere outside of the US) it would be nice if the language used was something non-Americans could also appreciate. I mean, if it was entirely in British slang it would probably be equally irritating to you guys, so the same courtesy in reverse would be good ;)

I love subs, too, naturally, the original voices often work so well that it's hard to get the same effect in a new language. But I think that would work equally in reverse. So if I were to watch, say, a Japanese dub of Avengers Assemble, I would find that as horrendous as an English anime dub.  (Actually, there's a thought! XD)

Offline Angel~

• Reserve Staff
  • Transcendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2013, 09:07 »
There are a rare few where the dub isn't that bad, for example Inuyasha wasn't that horrendous, but I still prefer the subbed versions.

I think we can conclude from our various rants that we should just watch everything subbed, since that way the quality of the anime/series/other stuff will be saved.  SUBS FOR LIFE!

[just a side note, life action pictures should NEVER, EVER be dubbed, that is just too terrible to both watch and listen to]

thanks to Shineshan <3

Offline Pau

• Inactive/Retired Staff
  • Master of Heaven
  • awawawaaahhh~happy munch time!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2013, 00:47 »
I agree. Subs are waayyy better...

thought dubs are good the way they say it was well...you know...the "it's an anime but why do i feel like its not anime?" feeling. especially those fansubs where fans would go and make their own dubs

Offline Vauxhall

• Inactive/Retired Staff
  • Master of Heaven
  • This text... just got personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2013, 09:05 »
Dubs annoy the hell out of me since I think they don't really provide the raw/authentic experience you get when watching the same thing, but with subs. I also think Japanese seiyuus have a better grasp of what's going on seeing as the original thing was written with influence from their own culture. Plus, it's strange to see the "mouth flaps" being off-time with English dubs, sometimes...

That said, I think the best dubs I've watched was FMA and Naruto (just Naruto, not Shippuden). I managed to sit through the entirety of dubs for both animes and it didn't bother me too much, especially when I switched to subs for the rest of Naruto and Naruto Shippuden. :goodjob:
Wit beyond measure is man's greatest treasure.

Offline Pau

• Inactive/Retired Staff
  • Master of Heaven
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2013, 02:08 »
I think that's why most anime website would use subbed ones instead of dubs

Offline Aurelia

• Inactive/Retired Staff
  • Master of Heaven
  • *bloop* <>< *bloop*
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2013, 13:29 »
The only problem I have with subs is that you have to look down and read the words! Then you can't appreciate the art as much! T_T Now if one day I was to learn japanese...  :o_o:

...And there go my fishbots! Thank you Rioui Poo~! *hugs*

Offline Vauxhall

• Inactive/Retired Staff
  • Master of Heaven
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2013, 22:15 »
Eh, Lia, it's not too bad!
When you watch a lot of anime, you catch what they mean 70% of the time while you're busy appreciating the art. xD

Offline Soraiiya

• Inactive/Retired Staff
  • Heaven's Minion
  • swallow the twinkling stars.
    • View Profile
    • blessed nostalgia.
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2013, 23:26 »
FMA was and is the only anime I will ever watch dubbed, and only because it had an excellent dub. I think at one point I even liked it more than the sub (?! What was I thinking?! But it was quite good, in all seriousness). HOWEVER, I hate dubs in general and refuse to ever watch anything dubbed. Naruto was scary when I heard the commercial when it first came out...
Currently managing: Cosplay Deka, Natsume Yuujinchou
Proofreading: NY oneshot special, NY ch 69
Cleaning:
Permanent projects: Cosplay Deka, Natsume Yuujinchou

Offline Vauxhall

• Inactive/Retired Staff
  • Master of Heaven
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2013, 00:46 »
Yeah, I agree with that. Naruto dub was pretty horrible but I found it bearable, at the very least. xD Which goes for a lot since I normally avoid dubs at all costs. *shudders*

Offline Pau

• Inactive/Retired Staff
  • Master of Heaven
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2013, 02:25 »
Now that you mention it.... I think dubs were the reason why I never watched Naruto in the first place  :swt:

Leave a Message -This is NOT for chatting!-