Author Topic: Books  (Read 14758 times)

Offline Tammy

• Inactive/Retired Staff
  • ArcAngel
  • <Insert Witty Comment Here>
    • View Profile
Books
« on: July 21, 2009, 00:27 »
It's just a place to talk about books, since we already have a movies/songs section. >.<

And yeah, I am a little freaked out at being the first to post. =.='

So, how about a classic? Harry Potter?
Everyone either seems to hate it or love it, sort of like Twilight, and it's got some really die-hard fans.
Everyone's talking about it again since the movie just came out.

Personally, I liked the third book the best.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 00:31 by Tammy »
Oh wow.. so they're iphone earpods? Wait, I mean, earrings! No! EARPHONES!!! I MEANT EARPHONES!
If you're reading this, then good for you. :3

Offline werr

• Teh scary
  • Inactive/Retired Staff
  • Master of Heaven
    • View Profile
Re: Books
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 03:58 »
HP and twilight really are the same, although I like twilight and hate HP  ;D

Offline Tammy

• Inactive/Retired Staff
  • ArcAngel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 04:44 »
Wait...you say they're the same, and yet you hate one and like the other?
Talking about Twilight, what was your favourite character?
I actually liked Jasper the best. XD
Oh wow.. so they're iphone earpods? Wait, I mean, earrings! No! EARPHONES!!! I MEANT EARPHONES!

Offline werr

• Teh scary
  • Inactive/Retired Staff
  • Master of Heaven
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 05:23 »
I like Alice and hate Jackob  :o

When i say they are the same I mean that they are of the same kind, but I am not supoused to like all, lets say, sci-fi mangas right?

Offline Xye

• Reserve Staff
  • Transcendent
  • Gackt, My love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 11:38 »
I can only read "books" with pictures hahaha XDD I cannot stand anythign with more than 50 words written on a page O__O;;;;

Offline werr

• Teh scary
  • Inactive/Retired Staff
  • Master of Heaven
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 14:54 »
I can only read "books" with pictures hahaha XDD I cannot stand anythign with more than 50 words written on a page O__O;;;;
Lol... I love books AND manga  ::)

YAYYYY I am not a dust speck anymore!!!

Offline Tammy

• Inactive/Retired Staff
  • ArcAngel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 16:41 »
Good Job! *clap clap clap*

But it's a lot easier to find well written manga than well written books. because, in a book, you need to focus on sentence structure, descriptions, wording, and all of that, whereas in manga you just need lots of pretty pictures. XD

Sakira

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 02:10 »
I like the Harry Potter movies ^.^ Didn't read the books though o:

I read all the Twilight books before the movie xD

Out of all the Twilight books I would have to say Breaking Dawn is my favorite. (:

Favorite character... hmm... That would be hard to say they all have their good and bad qualities. I'd have to think about that. =p

I can say I didn't really like Leah's character. >.>

Offline Tammy

• Inactive/Retired Staff
  • ArcAngel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2009, 03:04 »
You should read the books, a lot of detail is omitted in the movies. :D
You like Breaking Dawn? My favourite was a tie between Twilight and Eclipse. I didn't really like New Moon, I thought it was rather pointless, though I did enjoy the character development in Jacob. I just thought it was slightly random to suddenly have werewolves popping up. =.=' But I'm not complaining, they were a pretty good read.

Offline Yume

• Inactive/Retired Staff
  • Royalty
    • View Profile
    • Daaku Chokoreeto
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2009, 05:03 »
I feel so out for not reading these trendy novels (or whatever you call them). insert some random onion emoticon
I only read HP till the 5th book like super long ago.

I agree about it being easier to find nice manga than books. For some reason I'm so picky about books and writing style. I don't read horror, chick lit (not so much) etc. but yet I read manga-equivalents. Either that or I can dump a book after a few pages but for a manga I can somehow at least make it to the next chapter. =w="

The last book I read and enjoyed was The Remain of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro...well if anyone reads similar stuff like me. D: I'll gladly take recommendations. I want to read the Wicked Years series but the copy in my school library is constantly being reserved. T_T

Someone mentioned classics - I only touch them in Literature classes (which I shall take no more). @__@

Offline Ars Sator

• Inactive/Retired Staff
  • Beast
  • Uh oh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2009, 08:07 »
Out of the people that I go watch movies with, I'm pretty sure I'm the only one who was not read a complete Harry Potter novel. Which essentially means that when everyone is in the movie complaining about what a horrid portrayal of their favourite scene, I'm genuinely ignorant to what's going to happen next.

I've started to read some classic literature books. Mainly because I've found that its a whole lot easier to read them at this age than when I was, say, twelve years old.

I'm with Yume. I don't read to many modern novels and out of the recent books I've read, most of them are related to Literature class.

As of now, I've reread Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (read it early this year, and doing it again to remember what actually happened in the book) and just finished The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde. Literature is forcing me to read King Lear by Shakespeare.

Really gotta read newer books.
My friends I have the reading habits of a 60 year old librarian...
<.<;

Criss

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2009, 08:42 »
I guess i'm with Yume and Aquila. I don't like reading modern novels prefer classical ones. But i'm very pricky about it, they must be interesting enough or else i just dump them somewhere.. I don't really like the book of my literature class coz they're too common and it's the very simplified version (when you read it, it feels like something's missing)

But unlike Aquila or Yume, i read the HP series <3

I also agree about it being easier to find nice mangas than novels.
And mangas are so much easier to read !!

Offline werr

• Teh scary
  • Inactive/Retired Staff
  • Master of Heaven
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2009, 14:32 »
Currently I like Eragon... probably because I am still waiting for the fourth and last book.
I am just like that, after reading/watching something I find it really difilcult to read again and unless it is incomplete I quickly lose interest in it XD

Offline nancy

• Inactive/Retired Staff
  • Heaven's Minion
  • I want to shout "I Love You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2009, 17:38 »
Oh man..."modern" books huh? The last text/book I read was something from around 500 A.D. about Alexander the Great (of course it was translated)...and this is the last "english-written" book I've read T.T

And Aquila, I totally know how you feel about the HP and movie thing, I'm the same xD

I'm pretty sure HP is not a bad book, but if I am going to read sci-fi, I would rather read:
George R. R. Martin - Song of Ice and Fire series
Weis and Hickman - Death Gate Cycle
and etc...
I hate losing. I hate crying. I want to keep laughing.

Offline Yume

• Inactive/Retired Staff
  • Royalty
    • View Profile
    • Daaku Chokoreeto
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2009, 02:13 »
@ Aquila: Oh gosh P&P! I had to study it for Literature (though we would pester our teacher to show us an old film version!), alongside Shakespeare's Othello. I guess Literature forces us to read all the classics. ^^"

@ Criss: Yes, so agree about the dumping. XD" Sometimes I wish I could be like my brother who is less picky. But then again when I see the stuff he's reading I'm glad I don't. Interesting read > boring read, struggling to finish anytime.

Leave a Message -This is NOT for chatting!-